Sunday, March 25, 2012

Start 'em Young, Raise 'em Right


"And it blew my mind when I started to get wind of the fact that they actually liked me being around. That was humbling, because Kentucky basketball is a big deal, and I am not the biggest fan - I am just the most notorious one." - Ashley Judd


Davis is my baby daddy (Bond that is)  ;)

Friday, I had the opportunity to watch UK play against Indiana (revenge is sweet) in the Sweet 16 with one of my best friends Kelley.


This was Baby Boy Bond's second UK game, which isn't bad
for a Mississippi boy.

Like so many other things lately, the game made me think of my daddy who LOVED UK basketball, and I was raised right.  :)  I was 10 years old when Christian Laettner hit the buzzer beater to beat UK.  I don't really remember the shot (not that I have to, since UK fans are reminded of it every 5 minutes...thanks UPS, and I'll be using Fed-Ex from here on out, thank you very much), but I do remember what transpired afterwards.  I sat in Daddy's lap, and recited for him what all children (especially non-athletes like myself) are told over and over - "Don't be upset, Daddy, it's just a game."  Daddy quickly scolded me - "Kentucky Basketball is NOT just a game," he said in a very stern manner.

The more I think of my daddy's lesson that night, the more I realize just how right he was.  How could something that makes you anxious, jubilant, and devastated all in a two hour span be just anything?  Kentucky basketball is far more than just a game.  I know a special angel in Heaven is watching right along with the rest of Big Blue Nation.  Reckon God grants blue wings?  I think so, too.  Now, c'mon blessed Cats, and beat Baylor!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment