Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sibling Rivalry

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole."  - Roger Caras

Chillin' with my UK Snuggie

Meet LuLu.  She is hands-down one of my most favorite blessings in this world.  The only thing is I'm afraid she knows it.  Perhaps it's the attention showered upon her daily or the songs Davis sings to her that has cued her in, but she is the princess of this house.  Seriously, she's spoiled.  She shares Davis' pillow with him.  He is not thrilled about this, but she gives him no choice.

The worst day of her life, I believe, was December 23, 2010; this was the day Levi entered our lives.  She was used to being an "only child," and I suppose she felt threatened by his obvious puppy cuteness.  Once he started growing (which was immediately), I believe her disdain arose from his tormenting her.  One of the greatest days (no doubt) was when he went to Doggy Charm School.  If you've been reading, you know he's back, and she is not happy.  At all.

LuLu has never fully grasped the concept of "pottying outside," which I find to be her only real flaw.  Usually, I credit her with only having accidents when she can no longer hold it.  However, lately, this has not been the case.  She has really taken being spoiled to the next level - the dreaded spoiled rotten level.  She now has "accidents" on purpose when she is angry.  Oh joy.

Davis and I discovered this phenomenon this past week.  Davis and I have committed ourselves to walking Levi once per day to practice his charm school commands and give him much needed exercise.  It is too hot here in sweltering Mississippi for him to stay outside in the backyard all day, so these walks are more important for him than ever.  Anyway, back to the story.  So, every time Davis or I walk Levi, LuLu wants to go, too.  Unfortunately, we can never take her because Levi is difficult enough to handle by himself.  The last thing he needs is Lu to distract him.  Last Wednesday, when Levi and I returned from our evening stroll, we found her anger had manifested itself into "accidents" in the floor.  In an effort to not paint a graphic picture or get too far into detail, just trust me that this was purposeful and no accident.  One knows the difference.  She got in trouble for the first time in a while (remember, she's nearly perfect).

Fast forward to the very next morning.  I got out of the house early for work and left Davis to deal with Levi and LuLu.  When Davis was giving Levi attention, what did our little princess do?  Got mad, of course, and she went on the bath mat!!  Needless to say, Davis was not happy.

"Sorry Mom."
Not to compare my dogs to children (because I hate when people do that), but I have kind of equated this to sibling rivalry.  I get the feeling it's not going away anytime soon, but it can't last forever...  can it?  


"Go away." - LuLu




1 comment:

  1. I absoultely love reading your blog and I especially love this one! I am beginning to feel sorry for Levi though. However I am just as quilty for spoiling LuLu as you and Davis are :)

    ReplyDelete